City Council Member, Post B
Passes laws and regulations for your city
Full office description
- City council members work together with the rest of city council to set and implement city policy.
- City council is tasked with ensuring the health, comfort, and safety of residents of the city
- City council members work with the mayor to govern city departments, such as the police department, fire department, transportation department, and parks and recreation department.
- City council members represent either the whole city or residents of a specific district.
- Most city council members in Georgia are elected in odd years to four year terms. Elections are nonpartisan.
How this impacts you
Policing — City council has final say over how many police officers the city hires, what equipment the police get and how they are trained.
Quality of roads — City council has the power to improve roads and build new ones through specific projects.
Housing costs — City council can decide which housing developments to approve, require affordable housing and set property tax rates.