Virginia State Delegate, District 1
Your representative and state lawmaker in the Virginia House of Delegates
Full office description
- Your state representative represents the interests of your local district in the Virginia State House of Delegates.
- Your state delegate can author, sponsor, and vote on bills that may become state laws. - All bills dealing with the state budget start in the Virginia House of Delegates.
- The state House of Delegates, along with the state Senate, makes up our state lawmaking body: the Virginia General Assembly.
- There are 100 members of the Virginia House of Representatives, each representing a single district.
- State Delegates are elected to two-year terms. They are paid a yearly salary of $17,640.
How this impacts you
Voting Access — State delegates can pass laws that affect early voting dates, absentee voting requirements, voter registration processes, and ballot drop box availability.
Renewable Energy — The state legislature can pass laws that change how much of a profit Virginia’s energy provider, Dominion Energy, can make from the cost of utilities, and whether Virginia develops sustainable energy sources.
Patrick A. Hope is running for this race unopposed.Read profile